There are a few different types of MREs or Meals Ready to Eat packages. Among the various forms of MRE, military MRE is often regarded as the best or most reliable. That is because military meal packs have to undergo more strict quality checks compared to other MRE types, as such packages are meant to be used by military members in very rough conditions.
Here are 10 very interesting facts about military MREs that you may like to know:
- Even though the Department of Defense strictly tries to prohibit the sale of military MRE packages to civilians on a regular basis, many online sites still sell them openly, disregarding the department’s wish. That is because there is no any real law prohibiting the sale of military MREs to civilians.
- On a continuous basis, military MREs are intended to eat for 21 days at maximum, and not more than that. Prolonged use of MREs can be hazardous to health as MRE foods often tend to contain very high amounts of sodium and fat.
- MRE packages weigh between 18 ounces and 26 ounces, depending on what food they contain. Note that MRE packages tend to weigh a bit higher compared to equally fulfilling freeze-dried food packages. The reason for that is they contain water, while freeze-dried packages do not.
- In the earlier stages of MRE meals, certain foods did not taste good at all, and so, many people referred to MREs using funny names, such as ‘Morale Reducing Elements’, ‘Meals Rejected by Everyone’, ‘Meals Rarely Edible’ and others.
- A single MRE meal contains a total of 1200 calories, and the cost of the same is approximate $7.
- Each and every military MRE package comes with a Flameless Ration Heater, which can be used to heat food even if there is no access to flame. Civilian MRE packages do not come with any heater.
- MRE menus have undergone drastic changes over the years. While in the year 1983 there were only 12 menu items, the number of menu items got raised to 24 by 2014!
- Internally, a military meal package containing 12 meals costs $86.98.
- It is possible for civilians to buy MRE packages directly from the contractors who provide MREs to the military.
- MRE packages have the ability to bear drops of 380 meters high if the parachute is used, and drops of 30 meters high if the parachute is not used.
In addition to the above MRE facts, there are many others that are worth mentioning.